- What is to be a remote iOS developer
- Typical projects for remote iOS developers
- Why should you consider choosing the freelance or remote option
- Job responsibilities of remote ios developer
- Requirements of freelance iOS developer
- Average salary of a remote iOS developer
- Top 10 sites to find remote ios developer jobs
- 1. Toptal
- 2. Upwork
- 3. PeoplePerHour
- 4. Hired
- 5. Gigster
- 6. Fiverr
- 7. Topcoder
- 8. Guru
- 9. Freelancer.com
- 10. X-Team
- How to choose the best platform/job board for remote ios developer jobs
Remote work has significantly picked up pace and for a good reason. This article highlights the benefits of being a remote iOS developer/mobile engineer and the various platforms where you could find remote iOS developer jobs. It doesn’t matter if you are based in New York, San Francisco, or Canada.
What is to be a remote iOS developer
If you have the skills and the talent, then becoming a remote senior iOS developer can be lucrative. With smartphones taking over desktop, the need for strong and robust app development is vital.
Being a full stack remote iOS developer gives you the option to work from wherever you want. The kind of clients you get depends on your credibility, talent, skills, portfolio, and the kind of references you bring.
An alternative way to succeed as a remote iOS developer and get freelance iOS developer jobs is to be present on all the top freelance marketplaces and platforms because that’s where companies often go to hire. If you can present yourself there, you stand the chance of landing great remote iOS developer jobs.
Typical projects for remote iOS developers
There are various projects that you can take on as a freelance iOS developer depending on your expertise and skills. For example, you could be hired to do some backend work for an app that's exclusively created for Apple users. You could also be asked to create a new app for the app store. Depending on your niche and the industry that you specialize in, you can get projects to build various kinds of apps ranging from a gaming app to an online store, a content platform or more.
Why should you consider choosing the freelance or remote option
There are numerous reasons why you could consider choosing to be a freelance or remote iOS developer such as:
- It gives you the flexibility to pick up different contract jobs
- It gives you the option to travel the world as you work
- It gives the chance to choose your working hours
- It gives you the opportunity to build your network
- It gives you options to work on different projects
Job responsibilities of remote ios developer
Here are some job responsibilities of a freelance mobile developer:
- Execute and iterate the development of the application development including concept, app design, test, and support following the agile methodology.
- Create strong, robust mobile applications by writing clean and effective code.
- Suggest unit and UI tests to identify and correct any errors.
- Consistently troubleshoot and debug to improve performance.
- Design front end and backend interfaces to ensure better user experience.
- Stay up-to-date with new features and new technology trends such as react native, objective-c, swift, kotlin and flutter.
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, engineering managers, marketing and a development team.
Requirements of freelance iOS developer
Here are some requirements that recruiters look for in a freelance iOS mobile developer:
- A strong portfolio as a mobile application developer
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language such as Swift and Java
- Proven experience operating third-party libraries and APIs
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to perform in a remote and flexible environment
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Depending on the job type, ability to work on iOS mobile, android mobile, or hybrid mobile applications
- A degree in computer science would be a great value add
Average salary of a remote iOS developer
Remote iOS Developers make a global average of $83,037 USD per year (based on self-reported data). This estimated average salary is based on the expected salaries of 20,000+ Arc Developers. Remote iOS developer salaries in the U.S. start from $88,755 to $127,500 and more.
Top 10 sites to find remote ios developer jobs
Here are the top 10 sites to find remote iOS developer jobs.
Upwork is one of the oldest and biggest freelance marketplaces where you could find remote ios developer jobs. The platform attracts businesses across spectrums for both short-term and long-term work.
It is a great platform for you to get registered as a freelance iOS developer and offer your services. World-class brands such as Microsoft, GoDaddy, and Airbnb hire professionals from this freelance job board. Being a member on this platform makes it easier for you to work with all these kinds of businesses.
PeoplePerHour has an artificial intelligence system that does the hiring for businesses. Therefore, to show up here, your profile needs to be really strong with all the right keywords and information.
As a professional you could respond to job postings done by businesses with your proposals. If it suits the company, they can hire you to work on the project. PeoplePerHour also has a feature called “Offers” which is a pre-set bundle that you can determine.
Hired has a similar model as other freelance marketplaces except it offers a few additional tests to ensure you’ve got the skills to execute the kind of projects that come on the freelance job board.
Hired uses a special algorithm to shortlist the best remote iOS developers for a project. The way to get projects on this platform is to build a really thorough profile with all the details clearly listed. The process of finding a great job here can take some time but if you stick to it, you can land a good job.
Gigster is a tech-focused freelance marketplace that connects remote iOS developers and coders to business. To be a part of this platform, you’ll have to show previous experience in software development, so that you’re not new to the whole process of mobile development.
Some of the developers listed on Gigster are startup founders and a lot of them have degrees from some of the top academic institutions such as MIT and Stanford. If you fit the platform’s criteria, you can find some great gigs.
Fiverr gets its name from its core idea—every gig starts at $5. While that used to be the case before, over the past few years, Fiverr has grown as a platform and today it allows you to work with businesses across the world on projects that are worth more than $5.
Fiverr highlights your rating and reviews along with your rates and other information making it easy for businesses to reach out to you with app development work.
A global, crowdsourcing platform, Topcoder is a great freelance job board to find remote iOS developer jobs. The platform started as a community for coders with its core focus on building algorithms. However, in the past few years, Topcoder has transformed into a global tech community with programmers working with big businesses such as Microsoft, IBM, Harvard Medical School, and more.
With Guru you can find employers both locally and globally. If you’re looking for remote jobs in a specific state or city or timezone, you have the option to do that on this freelance job board.
Guru allows you to showcase your expertise and experience. Your iOS software developer profile has all the information businesses need to make a hire. The platform also has a dashboard and multiple payment options to make working remotely easy.
X-Team is another great remote ios developer job board to find your next gig. The platform vets all the applicants to ensure they’re qualified enough to handle big requests. So, you’ll have to be mindful when building your profile and getting it approved on the platform. X-Team also supports its developers by funding their learning and growth and offers them a remote work environment that helps them progress in their work.
How to choose the best platform/job board for remote ios developer jobs
Remote work is here to stay. If you’ve got the skills and the experience, you can succeed as a remote iOS developer. However, there are a few factors to keep in mind when job hunting:
- Does the platform offer strong customer support?
- Does the platform offer a portfolio of strong brands?
- Do you have strong chances of finding quality gigs there?